Although there is no one size fits all when it comes to skin, the following seven natural acne remedies are likely to provide at least partial if not total results for most acne sufferers.
1. Elimination diet – Most people are completely unaware that their acne is being caused solely by their diet. In some cases it may just be the trans-fats, artificial ingredients and preservatives that are causing the problem; but for many others it stems from either allergies or intolerance to certain types of foods. For these people dairy, wheat, eggs, meat, soy and other food sources can aggravate skin conditions. If you think you eat healthy but still experience acne breakouts, don’t rule out diet just yet.
You first need to attempt an elimination diet. The easiest way to do this is to go on an all vegan diet, consuming only vegetables and fruits for a few months. If your skin clears then you can be sure that your diet was the problem. At this point, you can slowly begin to reintroduce your normal foods one at a time to try to pinpoint the problematic food or food group. Before attempting any external treatments, an elimination diet should always be attempted because it treats the source of problem rather than the symptoms.
2. Diet and water – By consuming nutrient-rich foods, the skin can overcome acne. A couple examples include avocados which are loaded with healthy fats, green tea and green smoothies which contain chlorophyll, vitamins A and K, trace minerals and other nutrients. Fiber rich foods such as apples and other fruits keep the intestines clean and move toxins, which contribute to acne, out of the body. This also allows for greater nutrient absorption. Finally, water is key in maintaining clear and healthy looking skin. Water moves toxins out of the body, keeps skin hydrated and is required by every organ in the body; so drink lots of it.
3. Sunshine – Many sources will tell you the exact opposite; that sun is bad for acne. Don’t be fooled though, vitamin D produced by sun exposure is necessary for healthy skin. Just don’t over-do it.
4. Vitamin supplementation – There are particular vitamins, minerals and supplements that can improve acne, including vitamins A, C, K, B complex, E, D3, Omega-3, zinc and selenium. Supplementing these regularly can works wonders for certain individuals.
5. Natural face-wash ingredients – Using gentle, natural cleansers such as apple-cider vinegar (diluted by water 8:1) lemon juice and tea tree oil (diluted by water 20:1) can rid the skin of bacteria without the harsh chemical ingredients used in many brand name skin cleansers.
6. Natural exfoliates – Removing dead skin and unclogging pores by exfoliating helps keep skin smooth, soft, radiant and clear. Two of the best natural exfoliates are oatmeal and granulated sugar.
7. Facial masks – Home facials not only diminish acne but can greatly improve skin quality. Some of the best all natural facial mask ingredients include manuka honey, coconut oil, aloe vera gel, kaolin clay, yogurt, mint, thyme, avocado, egg whites, cucumber and turmeric. Most super-foods can be used in facial masks.
Tips and things to avoid
- Harsh soaps, makeup and beauty products can worsen acne. If you prefer to buy, rather than make your beauty products, go with all natural brands like Egyptian Magic, which uses only olive oil and bee products.
- Avoid topical antibiotics and drugs like Accutane which can cause serious side effects.
- Avoid stress, which is a major contributor to acne. Meditation, yoga and walks can aid in relaxation.
- Exercise improves circulation and removes toxins from the body.
Sources for this article include: